Skip to content

The Experience.

The day our baby boy stole our hearts.

What an amazing experience!! So the details…

Monday night I was having cramps/contraction like feelings but they were really mild and were about every 10 minutes. Then they would stop for an hour and pick up again. I just figured my body was getting ready somehow, but not quite ready yet. Then at 1 AM I woke up with cramps/contractions that were definitely stronger than what I was experiencing the night before and they were coming every 5 minutes. I waited for like an hour and a half and then woke Nolan up. He said how about we just wait until 5:30… ha! After I went to the bathroom and saw I was spotting I knew for sure it was time.

We got to the hospital at about 3, they monitored me and confirmed it was labor. She examined me and I was a good 4 cm dilated. God took care of SOO much in this delivery. He was so good to me and it’s true that he sees every detail. The room we were originally put into only had a bath tub, not a tub to deliver in. They asked me like a million times if I wanted an epidural and I kept saying no. Around 8:30 they asked me if I would switch rooms with another lady because she wanted an epidural and the room she was in was a special room where you can’t have an epidural.

It was PERFECT for me.

They had two great big tubs in there, one was a Jacuzzi and the other was the delivering tub. At that point I was 8 cm dilated and contractions were definitely getting stronger. I did not expect the pressure to be so strong on my hips. It felt like they were being pried apart!! I spent the next couple hours in the jacuzzi, which made the world of difference.

Labor seemed to go really quickly and before I knew it I was nearly 10 cm dilated. That was around 10:30. My water still hadn’t broken completely, so they had to break my water, which I really didn’t want, but contractions were so strong and fast at that point it didn’t really matter.

Then they put me in the delivery tub. I am SOOO thankful I was able to deliver in the tub. I highly recommend it!!! It saved me for sure. What I didn’t realize was how intense transition and pushing was going to be. I didn’t know it was going to be so forceful and feel like he was pushing himself out of me. When that started I screamed like crazy, and the screams were involuntary… I couldn’t control it at all and Nolan was laughing because it was scaring him. I kept saying “I”m not a screamer… why am I screaming?”. Then the midwife and doctor came in and coached me through it… told me to hold my breath and push instead of scream and once I got the hang of that it was okay. The whole experience was so intense. His umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. So I would push and he would come out a little but in between contractions would go back in, so it took a while to push him out.

He was born at 11:59. Even though it was just 11 hours, it felt like 2 or 3 hours. It went so fast!!! God was good to me. It was so crazy to see him come out of me in the tub and directly onto my chest. That experience can never be put into words.

Again I would HIGHLY recommend delivering in a tub. He came out weighing 7.9 pounds (3.6 Kg) and 19.6 inches (50 cm). All the midwives and doctors were so great and said I was the happiest woman in labor that they’ve seen. I keep looking at Colton and thinking…

I can’t believe he came out of me! What a miracle!!